Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish.
Updates are now at That Artsy Reader Girl.
May 26: Opening Lines (Best, favorite, funny, unique, shocking, gripping, lines that grabbed you immediately, etc.)
1) Favorite famous quote: “It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.” Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.
2) Gripping: “The thousand injuries of Fortunato I had borne as I best could; but when he ventured upon insult, I vowed revenge.” The Cast of Amontillado by Edgar Allen Poe.
3) Unique: “August 25, 1991
I am writing to you because she said you listen and understand and didn’t try to sleep with that person at that party even though you could have.” The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky.
4) Accurate character description: “Mr and Mrs Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.” Harry Potter and Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling.
5) Funny and unique: “There is a pirate in the basement. (The pirate is a metaphor but also still a person.) (The basement could rightly be considered a dungeon.) The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern.
6) Gripping: “The circus arrives without warning.” The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
7) Gripping: “I would have lived in peace. But my enemies brought me war.” Red Rising by pierce Brown
8) Haunting: “It begins with absence and desire. It begins with blood and fear. It begins with a discovery of witches.” A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness.
9) Haunting: “Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again.” Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier.
10) Thought provoking: “The artist is the creator of beautiful things. To reveal art and conceal the artist is art’s aim.” The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde.